Sunday, April 5, 2015

Searching For Life Among The Dead

 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 
John 3:16

Easter Morning...
photo by Kim Dent

On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus...suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them,

"Why do you look for the living among the dead?

 He is not here; He has risen!

Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Gallilee: The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again. 
Then they remembered His words.  
Luke 24:1-7

The women came to anoint a dead man's body.  Pay their last respects to their beloved Lord. They went to the tomb in deep sorrow. They didn't expect to find life. They expected to find death. In their grief they had forgotten the very promise Jesus had given the disciples at the last supper...or perhaps, they never truly believed it in the first place?

..."But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galillee."
Mark 14:28

I get these women. I have experienced deep sorrow and the dismay at having a dream crushed or a loved one die. I stop expecting that God's  promises for me will be fulfilled...at least the way I thought they would.  I know you have experienced loss too my friend.  

When tough seasons come or this world deals me a card that I struggle with, I sometimes forget about His promises...I wallow around in the graveyards of self sufficiency, pride or fear. I shop for things I can't afford and do not need looking for life there.  Maybe you search for life in prescription drugs or alcohol or sex. When we look for life in anything or anyone other than Jesus, we are simply looking for life among the dead. It is an exercise in futility.

But the life Christ gives is overwhelmingly abundant, satisfying and fulfilling. His love and guidance fill us with security and purpose. He frees us from our sin. Yet, the best gift that Christ gives us is eternal life with Him. In Him we are set free from the burdens of this world. Free from fear, grief, hopelessness and defeat.  

Are YOU  looking for life among the dead? 

 Abundant, satisfying, SUPERNATURAL, everlasting life can only be found
 in the one who defeated death...Jesus Christ.  
Look to Him and find Life!


No comments:

Post a Comment