Friday, January 2, 2015

Daring Greatly As a Mom

©BreneBrown
I heard Brene' Brown's talk "Listening to Shame" back in 2013. So many points resonated with me as I allowed myself to feel the weight of the words she shared.
In her talk she covers how stepping into the arena of authenticity and risk can open your world to so many possibilities.  Shortly after Kait came out, I was in this arena with my knees knocking together and my teeth chattering...I was so fearful of my own feelings and thoughts. I found myself clamming up rather than speaking my heart. I was so worried of how my words would affect others. Every thought I had was immediately judged by my inner critic as foolish, meaningless and wrong.  I still struggle with that critic sometimes but I am standing here in the arena of authenticity and risk with a new sense of courage and purpose. I stand now with the comfort of knowing that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. I stand knowing my voice matters and it's ok if everyone doesn't see things the same way I do. 

I may appear foolish and perhaps you will notice me stutter and stammer a bit as I learn how to find my voice. But, the fact that I am finally IN the arena and not hovering outside the gate has exposed in me a new sense of courage...even as my knees knock!  I have always been a people pleaser and was content to never "make waves" or say or do anything that would be in any way uncomfortable for myself or others.  Thanks to my daughter, Kait's courage to reveal her secret I too have been encouraged  to take more relational risks. To ask more gutsy, honest questions of myself, of others and of my LORD.  To just be who I am without worrying so much if the "real me" is OK or acceptable to others.  The risk of disconnection or of judgement  has been outweighed by the blessings I have found in this new place and the people I have met. 

How about you?  How are you daring greatly in your life?  How has stepping out and sharing your authentic voice shaped you? Changed the trajectory of your life and relationships?


No comments:

Post a Comment