Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Art of Making Friends

 Emily Freeman blogs beautiful thoughts at Chatting At The Sky.  A post called The Bench told a story of the beginnings of community.  She noticed women in her neighborhood would chat briefly at their mailboxes or exchange a wave while walking the dogs, but they never lingered. When a neighbor installed a park bench near the sidewalk in front of her home, Emily witnessed a transformation. Neighbors began sitting down to chat after collecting the mail.  people started conversations that lead to friendships which eventually lead to a new sense of community. What do you imagine it would be like to live in a neighborhood like that? 
Photo by Ben Martin

The neighborhood bench in Emily's neighborhood provided a neutral space for residents to engage and to dialogue.

Emily's blog inspired me for two reasons;  first, I remember what its like to be the new girl in an already established community.  It's hard to meet new friends when you don't share history. The park bench speaks of slowing down and taking time to pause and reflect.  What do you think of when you see a park bench? Rest? Peace? Contentment?   I can't help but wonder who may stop by to sit a minute if I added a bench in my own neighborhood. What if I made an intentional place for connection and conversation? What would we share together?

The second reason I was inspired was that I, like Emily, long for real relationship. I value conversation about deeper things than the weather or the latest sale at Macy's. (although I do love a good sale!) I desire to share my trials and triumphs and hear about yours. I want to meet people who bring a new viewpoint to my horizon.  I want to know what makes you happy, worried or angry.

 I want this year to be one in which I live outside of my relational comfort zone. There is so much to discover when we take the risk to meet new people. We grow in compassion.  I think that we were designed for connection. After all, God did say; It's not good for man to be alone.

 I don't know if my HOA will allow me to build a bench in my front yard but it dawned on me that this site can be our bench.  Let this be our neutral space to communicate, question, share, learn and connect.  A virtual "park bench" where we can enter into authentic conversations with love, respect, and grace.  We don't have to agree on everything to be friends. 

I would love to hear from you. More specifically, others need to hear from you. You have stories that can make a difference in another's life. Your voice matters!

So, if you are willing, sit beside me on this virtual park bench...let's talk.  How has a new friendship challenged you or enriched your life?


Share your thoughts by clicking on "add comment"


I'm listening my friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment